Centre is situated at the heart of Madhya Pradesh, the only hill station in the
central part of the country.
- LOCATION AND HISTORY :
During the year 1933 when Col. J.S. Wilson, the then Camp Chief of International
Training Centre at Gilwell conducted a Wood Badge course at Pachmarhi, Justice Vivian
Bose, Commissioner of the then Central Province (now Madhya Pradesh), had been a
regular visitor to the area.
Soon after merger of various Scout & Guide Associations in 1950 a need was felt
to develop a National Training Centre. In the second meeting of the Dy.Camp Chiefs
at Pachmarhi from December 26-31, 1954, the choice fell on Pachmarhi because of
its Central geographic position, natural surroundings, suitability for camping,
hiking, rock climbing, exploration, and easy accessibility. Due to relentless efforts
of Dr. Hridaynath Kunzru, the then National Commissioner, 56 acres of land was allotted
by the State Govt. through the support of Shri Mangaldas Pakvasa, the then Governor
of Madhya Pradesh and the dream came true in 1956.
THE RARE MONUMENT :
- A Monument of a Scout and a Guide has been erected in the Army
area which is unique in its character. This is to commemorate the Golden Jubilee
of Wood Badge Training in India.
COMING OF AGE HUT :
- This hut was built to commemorate the completion of Silver Jubilee
of National Training Centre.
Sites at National Training Centre :
- Master Plan of the National Training Centre was prepared by
Mr. Polk, an eminent American Architect and constructions were made. The training
Centre is divided into various sections-Administrative Block, B.P. Memorial Bhawan,
Kunzru Community Hall, Staff quarters and Camping Areas like Thurman Park, Queenie
Park, Vivian Park, Nagazia Park, Farm Area, Lalit Cub Bulbul Park, National Adventure
Institute, Laxmi Mazumdar Park. The centre occupies 56 Acres of wooded land. It
is open to both groups and individuals throughout the year for camping, sightseeing
or for exploring.
Administrative Block (Seth Kriodi Mal Bhawan) :
- Administrative Block is named after Seth Kirodi Mal, a philanthropist.
The offices of both the Dy. Directors Training are housed in this building. The
office is equipped with modern facilities like computers, internet, photocopier,
fax etc. The NTC is also put on E-mail service (firstname.lastname@example.org). Ph. No. 07578
252026, Fax. 07578 252541, National Adventure Institute : 07578 252350. E-mail (email@example.com).
- BP Memorial Guide Bhawan :
- Late Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the first President of India, laid
the foundation stone of this building on 10th Sep. 1956. It is a beautiful two storied
building on a hillock. It was inaugurated by Lady Baden Powell on 22 February 1961.
Comforts with modern amenities are available here. Each room is named after a state
which has contributed for furnishing the same. The Bhawan has 3 rooms on the ground
floor and 10 on the first floor. There is a very big lounge and dining hall furnished
by the Railway State Associations. Facilities include accommodation for 68 persons
Approximately 900 campers in seven different sites. During the main winter and summer
a variety of camping activities take place which include Adventure Activities, Trekking,
Rock Climbing, Parasailing, Boating at adjacent Pachmarhi Lake and Horse Riding
etc. The Adventure Institute at BS&G conducts periodical Trekking & Outings. International
Friendship activities take place every year. Young people visit the Adventure Centre,
thus ensuring a unique international atmosphere.
- Olave Scout Bhawan :
An annexe constructed with BP Bhawan is named as Olave Scout Bhawan. This was opened
by Gen K.P. Candeth, Director General Youth Services. Govt. of India on 9th November
1975. It has one dormitories with 14 beds with other amenities and toilets. The
Bhawan is also used by Scout/Guide Leaders and their families who like to enjoy
holidays on the hills.
Kunzru Hall :
- This community hall is named after Dr. Hridaynath Kunzru, the
first National Commissioner. It is used for indoor activities, Conferences, Seminars,
Meetings, Shows etc. and can accommodate more than 400 Scouts and guides.
Staff Quarters :
- Below the BP Bhawan Hillock, there are quarters for Dy. Directors,
Leader Trainers, Adventure Programme Officer, Estate Manager, Warden-cum-Quartermaster
and other staff members.
- BASIC FACILITIES
CAMPING AREAS AND PARKS
- A speciality of the National Training Centre is that different
areas have been named after top volunteers and professionals in honour of their
distinguished services and love for the Scout and Guide Movement. They have been
source of inspiration to others. The centre owes a lot to Smt. Lakshmi Mazumdar,
former National Commissioner whose constant efforts and inexpressible love for Pachmarhi
contributed to the progress of this Centre. The Dhiman Square is the key area consisting
of ‘Reception Hut’, Main Store and Padolina Library, named after Shri R. S. Dhiman
former National Training Commissioner (S) & Lalit Cub Bulbul Park named after former
National Commissioner Shri Lalit Mohan Jain, I.A.S. (Retd.).
There are as many as seven camp areas viz., Thurman Park, Queenie Park, Vivian Park,
Nagazia, New Camping Complex, Lalit Cub & Bulbul Park. There is also a big store
in the camping area.
New Camping Complex :
- To encourage more Camps for Scouts / Guides, Adult Leaders,
Clubs, Institutions, Groups, Sports and Youth activity club, another Camping Complex
has been added in the Bhawan area with built-in-bath rooms, toilets, kitchen, store,
TRAINING PROGRAMMES :
- The National Training Centre conducts several Training Courses
all round the year. Courses for Himalaya Wood Badge, Pre-Assistant Leader Trainers,
Assistant Leader Trainers, Leader Trainers, Re-orientation Course for Trainers,
Courses for Commissioners, specialised courses and workshops are conducted. The
triennial meets of trainers - Sandhan are also held. The centre is equipped with
competent members of the Training Staff who are functioning under the leadership
of the Joint Director (National Training Centre).
TRAVELLING TO PACHMARHI :
- Pachmarhi is connected by road with Bhopal, Nagpur and by train
Itarsi and Pipariya. Pipariya is the nearest railway Station for Pachmarhi. One
railway reservation counter is also available in Pachmarhi Market.
- Apart from buses, local Taxi, Jeep , Car are also available on rent for Pipariya,
- The facility of Rail reservation through computerized network is available at Pipariya
- One railway reservation counter is also available in Pachmarhi Market.